About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Countdown: Nine Days to Maker Faire

It always seems awful once it gets down to single digits.  All the time I used to spend thinking "I've got this," is suddenly swept away and replaced with "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFgaaaaaaahdammit, why didn't I start sooner!?!"

That said, today was a very productive day.

For starters, I did some fiberglass work.  Specifically, I glassed the plywood parts into the shins where the stilts will connect to the T-60 shins to the internal stilts:
Bulkheads Dry Fit in Shins

Each one was held in place with a bead of Bondo Glass:
Bulkhead Fitted in Lower Leg

Then I laid down fiberglass over the seam to bond the wood permanently in place.

I did the same thing for the Grey Knight:
Bulkheads in Calves

Bulkheads in Lower Legs

Once that was done I got a few minutes of fresh air and then took a break by finishing the paintjob on some grenades:
Pool Toys

That's about the same time as my assistant Chuck and her sister Agatha showed up.  So I set Chuck to work sanding down the new display panels:
Chuck Sanding Display Panels

She did okay:
Display Panels

Meanwhile, I showed Agatha how to mix casting resin and she got to casting a bunch of legs and feet for the Mousers:
Agatha Casting Mouser Parts

I was finishing up some rubber parts.  At this stage, the first batch are ready to have fabric reinforcement added in.  So I coated each of the parts with another layer of latex, then pressed a piece of fabric into place on top of it:
Smoothing Fabric in Knee Rubber

Here I am pouring black latex on top of a layer of fabric embedded in one of the rubber knee gaskets:
Rubber Poured Over Fabric in Knee Gasket

Then draining the excess back into the bucket:
Draining Excess Rubber from Knee Cast

To avoid the temptation to remove the rubber parts from the molds too early, I decided to take a break and make some more grenades:
IMG_20180508_180523

Because when life hands you lemons, you make lemon-nades:
IMG_20180508_180749

We also decided to have Agatha try on the old, miscast pair of rubber shorts for the T-60:
Old Rubber Shorts

Then I put her in the stilts and strapped on the shins:
Test Fitting Shins

I'm starting to feel a lot better about that build.

With the fiberglass cured, I put the basecoat on the calves for the Grey Knight:
Calf in Base Color

After hanging those up to dry, I powdered the rubber parts and de-molded them:
De-Molding Rubber Elbow

Here's the knee piece for the T-60:
First T-60 Knee Gasket Pull

Here's the rubber elbow gasket roughly fitted into the arm parts:
Rubber Elbow Gasket in Place

Rubber Elbow Fitting

It's going to need a bit of padding to stay in place properly, but I think it'll work:
Rubber Elbow Test 1

Rubber Elbow Test

The last thing I did for the night was smooth over the silicone rubber jackets for the Mousers' head and body molds:
Mouser Jacket Mold Complete

Tomorrow I'll have to knock out the rest of the detail work on this guy:
Chest Ready for Work

Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment